Following the recent in-game discounts and free DLC giveaway, Aspyr Media has released the Civilization VI (Free) Leader Pass for the iOS version of the game in addition to an update that adds support for the first pack. If you haven’t kept up Civilization VI on mobile, it debuted for free on iPad a while ago. Since then it has been updated with new DLC and expansions including the universal update and much more. The iOS version was always behind consoles, but with today’s update, it’s now comparable to PC with DLC. Unfortunately, it still hasn’t seen any visual or performance updates. When this pack was announced I was hoping we’d see some long overdue visual improvements and frame rate boosts for newer devices, but things are the same. The first pack in the pass is now out. On PC, owners of all previous DLC will get the pass for free, but iOS players will have to pay for it.
The Civilization VI Leader Pass includes the following packs through 2K:
- Great Negotiators Pack (Pack 1): Available Now – Test your diplomacy skills with the Great Negotiators Pack, including Abraham Lincoln (United States), Queen Nzinga Mbande (Congo), and Sultan Saladin (Arabia)
- Great Commanders Pack (Pack 2): Lead your troops to victory with the Great Commanders Pack, including Tokugawa (Japan), Nader Shah (Persia)3 and Suleiman the Magnificent (Ottoman Empire)4
- Rulers of China Pack (Pack 3): Establish some new dynasties with the Rulers of China Pack, including Yongle, Qin Shi Huang the Unifier, and Wu Zetian
- Rulers of the Sahara Pack (Pack 4): Revisit the cradle of humanity with the Rulers of the Sahara Pack, including Ramses (Egypt), Ptolemaic Cleopatra (Egypt), King Sundiata Keita (Mali)
- Great Builders Pack (Pack 5): Rebuild the world better than ever with the Great Builders Pack, including Theodora (Byzantines)5, Sejong (Korea)6 and Ludwig II (Germany)
- Ruler of England Pack (Pack 6): Complete your growing collection of monarchs with the Rulers of England Pack, including Elizabeth I (England), Varangian Harald Hardrada (Norway), and Victoria – Age of Steam (England).
Some of these packs require access to previous DLC or expansions. The Leader Pass is now available as an in-app purchase. Check out the official website for the Leader Pass here. If you haven’t played the base game or previous expansions, read our first iPad review here and my updated review of expansions and more here. I’ve also reviewed the content of the New Frontier Pass and the state of play in 2021 on iOS here. You can try Civilization VI free on the App Store for iOS here. We named it our Game of the Week when it came out. Have you already tried the game on iOS or another platform and are you planning to buy the Leader Pass today?