February 4, 2023

    Rebecca Ikumelo died after a crush outside the O2 Academy Brixton

Rebecca Ikumelo died after a crush outside O2 Academy Brixton (Picture: Met Police)

Rebecca Ikumelo’s family has paid tribute to the mother of two, praising her “care, kindness and love.”

The 33 year old died following a mob crush outside the O2 Academy Brixton.

In a statement released by the Metropolitan Police, her family said: ‘Rebecca was a nursing graduate. She was an adorable mother of two who loved working with children.

“She was well respected in the family for her care, kindness and love. Her parents call her Tosin (short for Oluwatosin) which means ‘Lord is Worthy’.’

Two other women – 21 and 23 years old – are still fighting for their lives after falling in love.

Due to the infatuation, a concert by the Nigerian singer Asake had to be canceled halfway through.

In a statement shared on social media, 27-year-old Asake offered his “sincere condolences” to Rebecca’s family and wrote that he has been in contact with them.

Rebecca was nicknamed Tosin (short for Oluwatosin), which means “Lord is Worthy” (Photo: Met Police)

“I am devastated by the news that Rebecca Ikumelo, who had been in critical condition since Thursday, has sadly passed away,” he said.

My sincere condolences to her loved ones at this time. Please let us remember her family in our prayers. I have spoken to them and will continue to do so.

“I am overwhelmed with grief and never imagined something like this would happen.

“My team and I are still awaiting the full debriefing of Venue management and police to determine exactly what led to all the disruptions caused and ultimately to Rebecca’s death.”

Footage posted on social media shows a crowd of several hundred trying to get into the sold-out performance.

People were seen pushing their way past security personnel and pouring into the Stockwell Road site.

Superintendent Colin Wingrove, Chief of Police for Lambeth and Southwark, said on the scene yesterday: ‘I would like to express my condolences to all those affected.

“After seeing some of the really disturbing images on social media, our thoughts are with them.

“An urgent investigation is currently underway led by detectives from our Specialist Crime Command and cordons continue as officers continue to work on the scene.

“This is still a fast-moving and evolving picture and we are working to establish the events leading up to the incident.

“We are also aware of a huge amount of footage on social media and this will of course be examined as part of the investigation, along with footage from officers’ body-worn video cameras.

‘We have set up an online page for submitting photos and videos. There were approximately 4,000 potential witnesses present at the time of this incident and we would like to urge all members of the public with information to come forward.

“We need your information to determine what happened as quickly as possible.”

This is a breaking news story, more coming soon… Check back soon for further updates.

Do you have a story? Contact our news team by emailing webnews@metro.co.uk. Or you can submit your videos and photos here.

For more stories like this, check out our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also have articles from Metro.co.uk sent directly to your device. Sign up here for our daily push alerts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *