Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood could face trial next year after being released on bail again for attempted rape.
He has been released on bail until a hearing on February 10 next year, with a trial date set for November 27, 2023.
The 21-year-old appeared before Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester today charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive conduct and assault resulting in actual bodily harm.
The England international from Bowdon, Trafford, only appeared before a judge to confirm his name and age.
All three charges are against the same woman.
Last month he was granted bail at the same court, with conditions not to contact witnesses, including the prosecution, and to reside at an address on Bow Green Road in Bowdon.
MORE: Gusts of up to 80 mph and temperatures of -4°C will hit the UK from today
MORE: Jason Lee expresses heartbreak over late mother not hearing David Baddiel’s blackface apology
He is accused of making ‘threatening and derogatory’ remarks towards the alleged victim.
He also allegedly accessed and monitored her social media accounts.
He arrived at court earlier today in a black suit with a hood under a long coat.
Judge Maurice Greene said, “Mr. Greenwood, the next hearing for you to attend is February 10.
“You will be granted bail as before, you must be present or you will be committing a separate crime.
“The proposed trial date is set for November 27, which is a long way off, so it is very important that you keep in touch with your lawyers.
‘I’m sure you will. The next date is February 10th.’
Mr Greenwood has yet to enter a plea.
MORE: Iranian players at World Cup speak out in support of protests at home
MORE: ‘Difficult to think of a time when I’ve been prouder’ Coronation Street stars hail Millie Gibson’s huge role in Doctor Who
Last month, Manchester United shared a statement following news of the three charges facing Greenwood.
A statement from the club read: ‘Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been brought against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service. He remains suspended by the club pending the outcome of the legal proceedings.’
The attempted rape is said to have taken place in October 2021.
The charges of controlling and coercive behavior date from November 2018 to October this year, while the assault with actual bodily harm dates from December 2021.
Within hours of allegations appearing online at the start of the year, the striker – who made one appearance for England – was suspended from playing or training at the Old Trafford club.
Nike later suspended and terminated its sponsorship deal with Greenwood, while Electronic Arts confirmed its removal from active squads in its Fifa 22 game.
Contact our news team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.