Marvel Snap expands with the next major update and upcoming cosmic-themed season. Not only will the game get over a dozen new, rare, and powerful cards, but developer Second Dinner will be adding as well the previously announced Token Shop to the game, allowing players to focus on grinding for specific maps they want to unlock. It also explained how it will reward players who have already progressed in the game and missed previous opportunities to earn some tokens.
Lately it seems like everyone and their friends are playing and talking Marvel Snap. And I get why. The free-to-play Card Fighter has recently swallowed my life thanks to its colorful cards all based on Marvel characters and creatures, its smaller 12-card decks, and its incredibly fast-paced six-turn matches. Making this all better is the randomized zones, which can transform a match massively so that every time you play it feels different and more exciting. But even with randomized zones and unlocked cards, some decks and strategies have become more popular lately, so it’s a good time to shake things up with 16 powerful new cards, plus a brand new way to unlock them.
Marvel Snap dev Second dinner announced yesterday it brings a slew of new cards to the game through the next season, called “The Power Cosmic.” Big bad Thanos is coming along with all of his Infinity Stones, leading to one of the most interesting and complex maps in the game to date. She-Hulk, hot from the success of her Disney+ show, will also arrive snap when the next season goes live on December 6.
When the patch goes live, the new maps will be split into two new series, or as most players call them, pools. These newer pools will be very rare, with Pool 5 cards like Thanos and Galactus being 10 times rarer than Pool 4 (which are already much rarer to get from random drops than previous pools). However, you don’t need to have unlocked all Pool 3 to start searching and unlocking Pool 4 and 5 cards. And they also appear in the Token Shop, which players can grind for when the next patch opens.
Here are all the new cards and what they do. Information comes through the latest developer update video of the game and Second Dinner’s blog post:
Series/pool 4 cards
- She-Hulk (6/10) — Costs 1 less for each unused energy in the last turn.
- Absorbing Man (4/3) – On Reveal: If the last card you played has an On Reveal ability, this card will duplicate it.
- Luke Cage (2/1) – In Progress: The power of your cards cannot be reduced.
- Agent Coulson (3/4) – On Reveal: Add any card with 4 cost and 5 cost to your hand.
- Helicarrier (6/10) — When you discard this from your hand, you add 3 random cards to your hand.
- M’Baku (1/2) — If this is in your deck at the end of the game, it will jump to a random location.
- Attuma (4/10) – If you have a card here at the end of your turn, destroy it.
- Killer Whale (6/9) – Ongoing: +5 power if this is your only card here.
- Titania (1/5) — When any card is played at this location, that card will switch sides.
- Mariah Hill (2/3) – On Reveal: Add any 1 cost card to your hand.
Series/pool 5 cards
- Shuri (4/2) – On Reveal: Double the power of the next card you play.
- Bast (1/1) — On Reveal: Set the strength of all cards in your hand to 3.
- Thanos (6/8) — Shuffle the six Infinity Stones into your deck at the start of the match.
- Galactus (6/3) – On Reveal: If this is your only card here, destroy all other locations
- Valkyrie (5/3) – On Reveal: Set all cards in this location to 3 power.
- Super Skrull (4/2) – Continuous: Has continuous effects from all enemy cards.
Second Dinner also talked more about the Token Shop, previously announcing it through its official Discord server.
After the next patch, players will start earning tokens through the collection progress path once they reach collection rank 500. You can spend these tokens in the soon-to-be added Token Shop, which will contain a random card you don’t know about. which will rotate every eight hours. If you see a card you really wanted, like Dr. Doom or Venom, and you have the tokens, then you can spend them there and take that card. However, if you see a card you really want but don’t have the currency to hand, that’s okay; Marvel Snap lets you lock and grind the store for as long as you want to earn the necessary tokens to buy your desired card.
While the Token Shop system sounds great and will help players get that one card they’ve longed for to complete a specific deck, it angered some who have already invested hours and hours into the game. They may already be at collector rank 900 or 1200 and have missed out on the upcoming tokens. Initially, Second Dinner had no plans to reward these players with anything. This was about bad, and last week Marvel Snap boss Ben Brode confirmed that this plan had been changed.
Players will now receive a large amount of tokens when they log in for the first time after the patch. How much you get depends on your collecting level.
- Collection level 500-999: 3,000 tokens
- Collection level 1000-2999: 6,000 tokens
- 3000+ Collecting Level: 12,000 Tokens
Considering the price of cards – pool 3 cards cost 1000 tokens, pool 4 cost 3000 and pool 5 cost 6000 – even lower level players can grab at least one card from the shop. And if you haven’t reached 500 yet, don’t worry, Second Dinner says that once you reach the 500 collection level, you’ll still get those tokens. Just another example of how strangely nice Marvel Snap is compared to so many other free-to-play mobile games.
Marvel Snap’The next season of S will start on December 6 and the next big patch, which will add the Token Shop and the new maps, should come out at the same time. You still have time to get all the rewards of this stream Wakanda and Black Panther themed seasonat.